Monday, March 3, 2008

Trödel Season!

One American I met when I first came here explained that Germans were the cheapest people she'd ever met. She didn't realize that she was talking to a New Englander, and we consider that a virtue.

Germans love a bargain. They therefore love flea markets. They love them so much that they have even verbified the word for flea markets, Trödel, so that one can actually "go flea-marketing" (trödeln) in German (note: all translations are mine and therefore the responsibility for all poorly translated terms is mine alone!).

Given that all stores are closed here on Sundays, the weekend Trödelmärkte (flea markets) are a huge draw. Often taking up a whole shopping center parking lot, they attract such crowds that you can count on a 10 minute walk the market from the nearest parking space. They are a mix of people emptying closets (who'd have a yard sale in the States), semi-professional collectibles dealers (getting out into the sun after a week of posting things on eBay), food sellers, and people selling disturbingly inexpensive bike parts, clothes, toys and cosmetics.

The children's flea markets are the best. No, they aren't selling children (with the population decline here I'm not sure they'd be a market) but rather children's things. These are usually held by kindergartens (preschools). Parents convinced they're through with a certain phase of child-rearing sell off the unripped, unbroken and more-or-less complete remains of a childhood at bargain prices. There are two kinds of sellers at these markets. The first is those who think their items are worth something and therefore want a decent price for their goods. I avoid them. The other are the practical types who just want this stuff out of their house and seem only to be asking for a bit of money so that no one gets suspicious that they might be unloading garbage. They are the best, for this attitude speaks to me.

As Peter likes to come to stop from a full run by using his knees as brakes, I no longer am willing to buy even 5,99 Euro jeans from Aldi for him (I'll tell you about Aldi later - it deserves its own post). So when I can score some gently used 1,50 Euro jeans for him from someone who knows how to come to a gradual stop, I'm in heaven. I've also rather shamelessly begun buying all sorts of toys for the kids there - frankly, come St. Nicholas, Christmas or birthdays (or as well call it, the month of December), they are too excited to notice the lack of boxes, or that an item is coming fully assembled already...

And do I have to point out that trödeln is good for the environment?

So buy your kids some used stuff today!

2 comments:

AMD said...

I hear you - my son and I both sport a lot of recycled stuff from Salvation Army (the closest non "vintage" second-hand clothes place to us). Sometimes I worry that I am taking stuff from people in that part of town who really need the low prices or I think I should look more closely at the charity I am supporting, but the convenience of the location, frugality, and eco-logic generally trumps those concerns.

Middento said...

And hey -- we have an Aldi near our house! Although I'm not sure it's the same.... (It is next to the Salv Army though...)